How to Update XAMPP in Windows
To update XAMPP in Windows. Please follow these steps.
- Download the latest version of XAMPP
- Now backup your existing “htdocs” folder.
- Backup your existing “data” folder, which is inside the mysql folder.
- Over-right all the files of existing “xampp” folder with the latest version of “xampp”
- If you have installed the installer version of XAMPP then just download the latest installer version of XAMPP and just install the latest version on the same location so it overwrites the existing files.
- After overwriting all the files run “setup_xampp.bat“, which is inside the “xampp” folder.
- Copy all your sites folder back to “htdocs” folder.
- Copy your old “data” folder and paste it inside the “mysql” folder
- Now fire up Apache and MySQL
- Visit your sites.
- If you can visit you sites then its done. But sites that uses MySQL database might cause some problem if you used any other user name and password other than the default xampp password. In that case follow on.
- Visit “phpMyAdmin” from http://localhost/phpmyadmin
- Press the “Privileges” tab, here if you used “root” user with a password then change the passwords for both root at localhost and 127.0.0.1
- If you used a different user name and password all together then create the new user using your old details that you used on your previous XAMPP installation.
- Now you should be able to visit your sites that uses MySQL database. eg: Joomla, wordperss etc
- Remember if you change the root users passwords then phpMyAdmin will not be able to connect to the MySQL database until you change the phpMyAdmin configuration.
- To change phpMyAdmin configuration goto (using file explorer not your browser) “xampp/phpMyAdmin” and open “config.inc.php“
- On line 21 of “config.inc.php” type the root users password. eg:$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘password’] = ‘root_users_password‘;
- If you want then you can change the user name too, in that case you will have provide that users password.
If you have followed my instructions then you should have a functioning XAMPPP with no issues. If you do face any problem then please leave a comment and I will do my best to get back to you.